Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: How to Save The World

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () immunix com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 11:55:39 -0800

Adam Shostack wrote:

So, I totally agree with what you're saying.  But I'm curious:  Are
they really morons, or is there a better explanation?
Much as I respect Marcus, I think there's a better explanation.

I live with a Linux desktop and Mozilla browser day to day, and for the vast majority of web sites, it works fine.

The problem is that the bulk of sites that don't work are the most "corporate" ones: web casts. Most of the webconference software out there does not work with anything other than IE/Windows. This is a big problem if you need to do a demo at a distance, and an even bigger problem if the people at the other end are inflexible and insist on IE/Windows, because now the webcast solution has to work across browsers and platforms.

Without naming names, the big players in webconference suck for not working on anything except IE/Windows. There are some smaller players in this market that do work on Linux, but usability was so bad that we backed away from using them.

IMHO, this is by far the largest hole in the Linux desktop market that holds companies back from switching.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.  http://immunix.com/~crispin/
CTO, Immunix          http://immunix.com