Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: VPN endpoints

From: "Melson, Paul" <PMelson () sequoianet com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:49:05 -0400

The placement isn't as important as planning access controls for remote
users accessing the internal network.  I'm sure that any auditor that
might look at this would feel better if the firewall sat between the
inside network and the VPN device.  But, some VPN devices support
granular access controls on decrypted packets that make a separate
firewall redundant, possibly unnecessary.  Of course, if the product you
have selected is not capable of doing that, or if you'd simply prefer to
use the firewall (for performance, logging/monitoring, or staff
utilization issues), then it makes sense to put the firewall between the
VPN device and the inside network.

PaulM