Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: VPN endpoints

From: "Fetch, Brandon" <BFetch () texpac com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:32:24 -0500

I think you'll find that there are two 'accepted' installation methods with
one some consider to be more secure than the other.

Terminate the VPN on either of these networks - DMZ or Inside.

If you're referring to a Cisco VPN concentrator with two interfaces (public
& private), the public obviously goes on the outside network with a publicly
accessible IP address.
Where the private interface goes is the big issue.

The more secure setup is 'terminating' the VPN on the DMZ as this allows you
to then filter any/all traffic that is coming in through the VPN using your
DMZ ACLs.  You can have the VPN clients receive a different IP address scope
from the DMZ network hosts and then restrict where those IP addresses can
go.

If you're confident in your internal security and feel like letting your VPN
clients run rampant inside your corporate network then terminate the VPN on
the Inside network with an internally routable addressing scheme.  However,
they're free to muck about with whatever/wherever they desire.  :)

HTH!

Brandon Fetch
817-871-4036
-- carpe ductum -- "Grab the tape"