Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPN endpoints

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:03:41 +0530

On 30/08/04 14:48 +0100, Kevin Sheldrake wrote:
Hmm

I thought OSI was Open System Interconnection, as in 7 Layer OSI Model.

VPNs are not secure by default for two differently abstracted reasons:
1) Some VPN products default to allowing the Null encryption algorithm.

That is seriously broken. Have a list you can share?

So, unless you like no encryption, VPNs are not secure (although some
specific examples may be 'secure' (see 2)).   Also, bear in mind the
implementation of the VPN encryption algorithms might not be textbook -
how will you know?

2) 'Secure' is an undefined term.  What's secure for me might not be

"Secure" is a very well defined term.

A system is secure when the cost of an unauthorised entity accessing the
data on the system or the loss of the data itself is higher than the value
of the data itself.

However, this definition of security involves terms like cost, the
calculation of which which is not very well understood by the general
population.

secure for you - it all depends upon the sensitivity of the information
and the impact on the business in cases of compromise, whether that be
confidentiality, integrity or availability.

The cost of compromise is a function of the risk that the data may be
compromised. The hard part of doing any type of security work is in
calculating this risk. I don't know of any insurance company that has
formulae to estimate such risks.

SSL VPNs are IMHO generally a bad idea.  In a nutshell, this is because
most of the benefits are in the fact that practically any client can be
used, and that the authentication mechanisms are not particularly
intrusive (and often are fault-tolerant).  By allowing uncontrolled
clients you introduce potentially major risks; controlling the clients

<not_a_troll>
Is a Microsoft Windows (tm) system that has been connected to a non trusted
network a controlled client?
</not_a_troll>

Replace MS Windows by any other OS of choice, as needed. The only reason
I use that example is because it is the most common one around.

would point back towards a traditional IPSec solution.  The authentication
mechanisms may be compromised by a little technology and average user
ignorance (fake certificates, for instance); restricting the
authentication mechanisms would again point back towards traditional IPSec
solutions.

The problem as I see it is not the technology itself, it is the fact
that the technology puts a great deal of responsibility for policy
enforcement on the end user who is non technical that is the problem.

Quote:
Actually, I coined OSI ;-) as an implementation of distinct security
techniques and several processes particularly in protecting the inter-

network. Meaning adept in the disposal of security components such us
encryption, PKI, openPGP, software/hardware firewall, antivirus software
that will make sure it will guarantee the protection of your data
wherever
it goes. ;-)

"adept in the disposal of security components"?  "make sure"?  "guarantee"?

Wow, it sounds like there's no need for risk assessments or systems
analysis anymore; I better retrain as a plumber.

Actually a good idea if you are in a place where jobs are being
outsourced, plumbers are appaently rarer than unemployed IT personnel
and earn about the same.

g,d&r

Devdas Bhagat
PS: For the humour impaired, that last is a joke.