Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPN endpoints

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:12:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Devdas Bhagat wrote:

VPNs are not secure by default for two differently abstracted reasons:
1) Some VPN products default to allowing the Null encryption algorithm.

That is seriously broken. Have a list you can share?

Note that "default to allowing" is different than "default to using."  One
of my few gripes with ICSA Labs SSL VPN criteria was in even allowing a
null cipher to be specified.

So, unless you like no encryption, VPNs are not secure (although some
specific examples may be 'secure' (see 2)).   Also, bear in mind the
implementation of the VPN encryption algorithms might not be textbook -
how will you know?

2) 'Secure' is an undefined term.  What's secure for me might not be

"Secure" is a very well defined term.

A system is secure when the cost of an unauthorised entity accessing the
data on the system or the loss of the data itself is higher than the value
of the data itself.

However, this definition of security involves terms like cost, the
calculation of which which is not very well understood by the general
population.

Nor the general security practicioner ;)

secure for you - it all depends upon the sensitivity of the information
and the impact on the business in cases of compromise, whether that be
confidentiality, integrity or availability.

The cost of compromise is a function of the risk that the data may be
compromised. The hard part of doing any type of security work is in
calculating this risk. I don't know of any insurance company that has
formulae to estimate such risks.

SSL VPNs are IMHO generally a bad idea.  In a nutshell, this is because
most of the benefits are in the fact that practically any client can be
used, and that the authentication mechanisms are not particularly
intrusive (and often are fault-tolerant).  By allowing uncontrolled
clients you introduce potentially major risks; controlling the clients

<not_a_troll>
Is a Microsoft Windows (tm) system that has been connected to a non trusted
network a controlled client?
</not_a_troll>

Replace MS Windows by any other OS of choice, as needed. The only reason
I use that example is because it is the most common one around.

would point back towards a traditional IPSec solution.  The authentication
mechanisms may be compromised by a little technology and average user
ignorance (fake certificates, for instance); restricting the
authentication mechanisms would again point back towards traditional IPSec
solutions.

The problem as I see it is not the technology itself, it is the fact
that the technology puts a great deal of responsibility for policy
enforcement on the end user who is non technical that is the problem.

Actually, I think the technology needs a little blame.  Traditional
red/black network designs are great for crypto, as is potentially,
LAN-to-LAN VPN- it's the "untrusted, general computing client with split
tunneling or network roving" problem that's not well-solved by current
technological solutions.  Smart cards might help some, as does turning off
split tunneling, personal firewalls, etc.  But the technology isn't ideal
for the solutions it's being sold for.

Paul