Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Personal Firewall Day?

From: Adam Shostack <adam () homeport org>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 19:30:18 -0400

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 10:57:21AM -0700, Crispin Cowan wrote:

| I submit that dumb terminals are dead & gone, until & unless something
| happens that makes massive central storage vastly cheaper than local
| storage. At the moment, local storage is actually cheaper than machine
| room spindles, so the trend is going the other way.

Is that a managed, or unmanaged cost?  How do you do backup and
disaster recovery on desktop storage?

Admittedly, a good compression algorithm could reduce most of what's on
your desktop to a few napster:// urls and the content of your
powerpoint, reducing the backup work to a few dozens of megs, but I've
yet to see that productized.

Adam

--
                                                       -Hume