Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Personal Firewall Day?

From: Achim Dreyer <adreyer () math uni-paderborn de>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 09:41:51 +0200 (MEST)

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Crispin Cowan wrote:

The world of dumb desktops has come and gone three times during my
computing career.
[..]
    * "thin clients" in the mid 90s: we were all supposed to do
      everything in a browser, making operating systems obsolete. Or
      maybe it was a diskless Java workstation, or something
          o never got off the ground

The first wave of dumb terminals lasted 30 years. The second lasted
about 5, and the third never got off the ground.

I submit that dumb terminals are dead & gone, until & unless something
happens that makes massive central storage vastly cheaper than local
storage. At the moment, local storage is actually cheaper than machine
room spindles, so the trend is going the other way.

Hy,

Although the "thin client" wave didn't get up at that time, it is still
waving and with the current rises in client/WS OS costs it is getting of
the ground. I have two major customers that are using an increasing number
of citrix servers to stop their rising licensing and support costs.
-> Dumb terminals are not dead & gone!

Regards,
Achim Dreyer
--
A. Dreyer, Senior SysAdmin (UNIX&Network) / Internet Security Consultant