Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Email encryption and virus scanning

From: ant () notatla demon co uk (Antonomasia)
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 05:18:41 +0100 (BST)

From: Dave Piscitello <dave () corecom com>

Fortune "integer" companies often standardize on desktop applications.
My experience is that they rarely consider the security implications when
choosing apps. The choice typically comes down to Outlook or Lotus.
While Lotus seems to have better security, its interoperability issues
with SMTP mailers is debilitating. Mail is the killer app, so the mail
admin whines loudly and the security guy is overruled.

I'm in a place that uses Lotus and we've escaped all the mass virus things
so far.  The security is bad with Lotus too - somebody found a flaw where
you can get remote execution of arbitrary code and do what the
Outlook-Kiddiez have been doing for a while.

Lotus is full of horrible faults - especially in address handling.
Say John Employee came to work with us and was in the address book as
"John Q Employee".  Then you'd enter into the To: field "John Employee"
and it wouldn't recognise it.  Hit F9 and you get a long list of names
considered somewhat close. In this list you find "John Q Employee" and
notice that this is the _only_ "John Employee" in the address book; so
why didn't it know what you wanted ?  That and a lousy editor and useless
search tools for your email archive means we all hate it.   It's at
the point where I think somebody (me even) could write something better
in Perl in a few months.  Did someone ask about spam filtering ?  Don't
be silly.

Our mail admins have made such an embarrassing mess of everything they
touch there's little chance of anyone taking them seriously and they're
lucky to have jobs.   And they won't turn on the pop3 server because
that would allow you to read mail on unix.  That would never do.