Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Email encryption and virus scanning

From: t <miedaner () twcny rr com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 18:58:58 -0400

Hmmmm... lots of interesting talk here.

Notes or Groupwise certainly reduce the likelyhood of "automatic"
execution and exploitable vulnerabilites.

I would say that for encrypted email (sporadic type) your client
software is your defense whether it is trojan detection or whatever.

For encryption of all enterprise email having a "master" key so that all
email can be scanned at the email server/gateway is required.

I am surpirised that nobody on "this list" mentioned that IDS systems
for monitoring, tracking and affecting the Bad traffic is useful.

Short of the above certainly for some backdoors a local firewall will
help - not for all though.

Might seem pretty hopeless, maybe it is.  Certainly is one of the
easiest ways into the average corporate network.

Cheers.

Mikael Olsson wrote: