Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: (no subject)

From: Luca Berra <bluca () comedia it>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 01:12:38 +0100

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 05:21:23PM -0500, Terry Bertrand wrote:
I am running a cable network at home which includes a cisco router.  I am
able to access email from my cable provider using outlook express without
the router.  When I include the router which is running NAT as part of the
network I am unable to access mail using outlook.  Does anyone have any idea
as to what sort of access-list I would neet to access mail. I have tried the
following. the configuration of outlook express is
out mail port 25
in mail port 110

access-list 105 permit tcp any any eq smtp (in)
access-list 106 permit tcp any any eq smtp (out)

i am lazy, so i will consider all that has been said about ppl who can solve problems
and ppl who have no clue, and i will counsel you to add rule to every list.

access-list 105 deny ip any any log
access-list 106 deny ip any any log

then look at the debug on your router.

you will probably find out something interesting about the difference of source and
destination ports and the fact that a cisco is stateless.
(btw if you don't even mention pop3 the router won't figure it out by itself)

regards,
and let us know how you fare

L.

--