Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: (no subject)

From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy () center osis gov>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 22:59:18 -0500

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 05:21:23PM -0500, Terry Bertrand wrote:
I am running a cable network at home which includes a cisco router.  I am
able to access email from my cable provider using outlook express without
the router.  When I include the router which is running NAT as part of the
network I am unable to access mail using outlook.  Does anyone have any idea
as to what sort of access-list I would neet to access mail. I have tried the
following. the configuration of outlook express is
out mail port 25
in mail port 110

access-list 105 permit tcp any any eq smtp (in)
access-list 106 permit tcp any any eq smtp (out)

Check what ports your traffic is using.  I understand MS Outlook to MS
Exchange uses all of the NetBEUI TCP and UDP ports, plus quite a range
of others.  Probably MS Outlook Express as well.  I don't think you can
compress those to the SMTP and POP3 ports, especially if it is not
using SMTP and POP3.

I could be all wet - I try to avoid such things.

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () center osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support                                     EMT-B