Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Managed Security Metrics

From: Adam Shostack <adam () homeport org>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 11:44:44 -0500

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 11:43:13AM -0500, Mike Smith wrote:
| I'm looking for a service provider that covers more than firewall
| management; it should offer internal IDS, anti-virus, content filtering
| (incoming and outgoing), etc.  Down the road, I may look for services like
| password management, PKI management, maybe even integrated physical
| security.

I think you need to break these down; what do you really expect from
each of them?  For example, what do you want the content filtering to
do?  How intrusive can it be?  What do you do about encrypted mail?
SSL traffic?  (I'm not a big fan of content filtering.)

For AV stuff, I would contract for a maximum response time, the vendor
to fix the machines damaged by viruses in the lapse-time, etc.

For internal IDS, what do you expect to catch?  Is it password
guessing?  Portscanning?  Generally, IDS is still a fairly new
field--you may want to look at the kind of advances coming in
conferences like "Recent Advances in Intrusion Detection" to see what
people think of as cutting edge..

Adam

| My research tells me the SLA is the main way to tell what I'm getting for my
| money and to compare providers.  I expect the provider to have a service
| that implements my security policy (after we jointly review, and update if
| necessary, that policy to make sure it's appropriate and supportable with
| the provider's offering; I expect the provider to give advice in that area
| as part of the service).
|
| The SLA is also my contract.  It defines "good" service, and ideally defines
| rebates (to me) or penalties (to the provider) if the service isn't "good."
| But "good" has to be objective and the provider has to be able to
| demonstrate that it was "good" during a given reporting period.
|
| Mike Smith

| |

--
                                                       -Hume