Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Managed Security Metrics

From: Adam Shostack <adam () homeport org>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 18:00:45 -0500

I think that theres a lot of process issues which are not easily
quantified.  For example, I want to know that an account will be shut
off within 5 minutes of a lost token report, but more than that I want
them to go through a list of accounts quarterly to ensure that there
is a known, employed user using the account.

I'd like to see log monitoring, a guaranteed response time to
certain classes of events eg, any user not on a shortlist becoming
root leads to a phone call that connects with my escalation tree
inside of 15 minutes.

Perhaps you can make the question more specific: What are you trying
to protect?  What is the service selling you?  Is it "firewall and in,
end-to-end security?"  Is it firewall log monitoring?

Adam

--
                                                       -Hume