Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Managed Security Metrics

From: "Mike Smith" <msmith () infinity-its com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 13:37:10 -0500

I'm still not sure this is useful to the client of a managed security
service provider.  If the service level agreement says, "provider shall
block X attacks per month," what does it mean to me if it blocks less or
more than X attacks in a given month?  A month could have fewer than X
blocked attacks because it was a quiet month for attacks in general.  Does
the provider owe me a rebate for failing to meet the target?  Is there an
incentive for the provider to surreptitiously encourage/launch blockable
attacks to boost its performance rating?

For the flip side, I'm hesitant to look for a service guarantee like
"provider shall block x% of attacks per month" or "provider shall permit no
more than X attacks to penetrate the firewall per month" because any
successful attack is unacceptable.  I can't see management signing an
agreement that says it's okay if some small number of attacks gets through
the firewall.

Anyway, I think such a requirement would be akin to proving a negative.  How
can I or the service provider be sure that an attack didn't get through;
perhaps neither of us has detected it yet.

So I'm back to asking, what are suitable, measurable criteria for judging
the quality of my security service provider's performance?

Mike Smith