Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Does blocking TCP DNS packets keep your Bind safe?

From: Don Kendrick <don () netspys com>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 16:09:01 -0500

OK, here I go again breaking things :)

Over the years I've argued about blocking icmp at the border routers. Steve Bellovin et al would usually argue that it breaks path MTU, etc. I'd usually argue that we can rely on path MTU being negotiated elsewhere in the path (LAN vs. WAN bandwidth)...but I digress

Here's what I am suggesting:

1. We should all only do zone transfers (TCP) with known secondaries.

2. Most if not all "normal" queries needed by legit Internet traffic are UDP.

Why not just block port 53 TCP connections at the border routers except for our secondaries. Is it possible to do a buffer overflow or other DNS/Bind exploit via UDP? I don't know the answer, I'm asking.

Don

Don Kendrick, CNE, CCNA, GCIA, CISSP