Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Managed Security Metrics

From: "Mike Smith" <msmith () infinity-its com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 11:43:13 -0500

I'm looking for a service provider that covers more than firewall
management; it should offer internal IDS, anti-virus, content filtering
(incoming and outgoing), etc.  Down the road, I may look for services like
password management, PKI management, maybe even integrated physical
security.

My research tells me the SLA is the main way to tell what I'm getting for my
money and to compare providers.  I expect the provider to have a service
that implements my security policy (after we jointly review, and update if
necessary, that policy to make sure it's appropriate and supportable with
the provider's offering; I expect the provider to give advice in that area
as part of the service).

The SLA is also my contract.  It defines "good" service, and ideally defines
rebates (to me) or penalties (to the provider) if the service isn't "good."
But "good" has to be objective and the provider has to be able to
demonstrate that it was "good" during a given reporting period.

Mike Smith