Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Castles and Security (fwd)

From: "Harris, Tim" <tharris () ocair com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 17:25:22 -0800

I rather like the analogy of the castle so long as you don't
try to stretch it too far.  Remember that a castle has two primary
modes of operation (with lots of gray in between), open and closed.
In the closed mode a castle is quite good at keeping out spies.

We operate in a restricted mode where access is limited.  The moat
and the wall funnel most people onto the drawbridge where I can do
at least a cursory examination.  I still need to have a patrol on the
wall looking for the more creative intruders.

In the meantime, for every defense I can dream up there is an effective
attack that will overcome any defense.  I have to try to find a level
of security thatwill stop most intruders while still allowing business
to occur.  I have to decide if I am building a public park with a few
policemen on horseback or am I building a nuclear bomb shelter.

Getting back to the original point, I think that the castle analogy
is great because it is something I can use to explain the concepts
to less knowledgable people.

The terrorist analogy breaks down because the terrorist still has to
attack, at least initially, from the outside.  The classical Trojan horse
DID come through the front gate.  We have to be vigilant and be suspicious
of that giant wooden rabbit.  Once any attacker breaches the outer wall
whether by brute force or stealth, we need to have internal defenses
to try to contain the invader.

Maybe we should try watertight screen doors on submarines... :)