Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Castles and Security (fwd)

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () securityfocus com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 14:35:03 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, George Capehart wrote:

To me, the most interesting aspect of the thread has been the
acknowledgment (once again) that it is impossible to defend against
truly determined adversaries but that Defense in depth is a Good Thing
(TM) and is usually necessary.  Seems to me that we're back to the
economics of security . . . defenders rarely spend more to defend a
target than it is worth to them and attackers spend as much on an attack
as they're willing to pay.

That's the whole thing about the Internet.... cost of attack has dropped
to near zero.. at least if you don't believe that you'll get caught.

                                                Ryan