Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: pcanywhere encryption

From: Randy Witlicki <randy.witlicki () valley net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 18:46:05 -0500

I wouldn't bother people with this, except Symantec tech support claims to
know nothing about how their encryption works.  (Actually, they claim their
product does not do encryption, it merely passes the data to Microsoft
programs for encryption when appropriate.  Doesn't that make you feel safe?)

  Well, safer than if Symantec did it themselves  :):) ... :(

   ...<much snipped>...

Can anyone help out by explaining what Symantec is actually doing to set up
encrypted sessions?  Symantec can't explain it.

  I believe somewhere in their documentation they say they hand it
off to the cryptoAPI built into Windows.
  The Microsoft web site (under the developers section) has various
information about this.

  Here's my twist to the issue:

  I will contend (IF and ONLY IF the crypto is done right) that
it is better to provide a telecommuter with remote access via
a PCAnywhere (or VNC) type of connection and not a VPN.
  The reason is that you are only trusting one application to go
behind the corporate perimeter defense.  A VPN lets *any* application
running on the home PC (or perhaps the home LAN for that matter)
to be trusted.

  - Randy
 -