Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Air gap technologies

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () wirex com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 12:16:49 -0800

Robert Graham wrote:

The two primary differences I read into it were:
1) If you break into the Internet side of the firewall, it is still
virtually impossible to compromise the backside of the firewall (it is split
into two separate machines that do not communicate together over TCP/IP).
2) By default, its HTTP proxy is a little more strict than your average HTTP
proxy, and can therefore help against some data driven attacks.

That's the info I was trying to get from the folks who said that they've
inspected the Air Gap system:  the swithc does not pass TCP/IP, but does pass
something.  To what extent does the inside half trust the outside half?  What
is the protocol(s) passing over the switch?  If I hack the outside box, what is
to prevent me from, say, dropping malformed "blocks" on the switch and
corrupting the inside proxy?

Personally, I feel that the "Air Gap" is a bunch of hot air (Hot Air Gap).
If you measure it as a black-box, you see communication go through it. The
description of how it stops/starts communication is exactly how you would
describe any half-duplex channel. I can't see the difference between this
"Air Gap" product than simply connecting two boxes together with unbound
TCP/IP stacks using a raw Ethernet protocol (such as the SCSI-over-Ethernet
standard :-).

Leading to a fascinating potential for a new open source project with an
obvious name:  Open Gap :-)  Just hook up two Linux/OpenBSD boxen with a
SCSI-over-Ether connection and run Squid & friends on either side.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
Chief Research Scientist, WireX Communications, Inc. http://wirex.com