Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Air gap technologies

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () wirex com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:50:26 -0800

Frederick M Avolio wrote:

As I said ages ago when this came up before... I have reviewed the
technology. I like it. I am not a vendor. I call it an Air Gap. So, I
disagree with your analysis that it is a distortion of the truth.

I would really like to see a response from Frederick or Avi that addresses Matt
LeGrow's question:  what fundamental capabilities does the Whale "Air Gap" have
that an application proxy does not?  If such a qualitative difference can be
defined and defended, then I'll buy the proposition that "air gap" is meaningful.
If not, then this is a fancy word for "proxy", and the technical discussion should
focus on "why my proxy is better than your proxy."

For instance, consider the case where the proxy has a vulnerability.  Lets say
(for sake of argument) that the "Where Gap" product :-) has an identical switch to
the Air Gap, but used the WU-FTPD on either side of the switch for FTP proxies,
and unfortunately has not upgraded since teh format bug vulnerability was
disclosed last June.  This immediately lets the attacker 0wn the outside half of
the Where Gap.

Now the attacker can drop whatever content they like onto the switch.  I don't
know if WU-FTPD is vulnerable to attacks via that channel.  Can Frederick or Avi
comment on how robust the inside half of the Air Gap is against arbitrary content
appearing on the switch device?

This is the key point.  A standard architecture application proxy is compromised
if it is using a vulnerable FTPD as a proxy.  The outside half of a switched proxy
is equally vulnerable.  How much safer is the inside because of the presence of
the switch?

Caveat:  discussion about the software quality of the inside half are not exactly
germain here.  Standard proxy vendors can respond, with equal validity, that their
proxies have "hoo-hah" or "FooBar" things in them to make them robust against
attack.  The interesting question is "what value does the switch hardware provide
in defending the inside half of the proxy?"

Thanks,
    Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.