Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Air gap technologies

From: Aleph One <aleph1 () underground org>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 14:21:17 -0800

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 04:05:08PM -0500, Frederick M Avolio wrote:
At 12:22 PM 1/23/01 -0800, Aleph One wrote:
What I should have said is that these dual-host systems implemented with a
physical air gap and dual-host systems implemented via some other type
of point-to-point connection (such a a serial cable) have the same exact
security properties.

With the added property that the cable is only ever connected to one side
or the other at a time?

A disconnected cable is just as a good to a very close approximation as a
connected cable were there is no software listening to any requests on it
The switch behavior of listening or not listening to request by one
host or the other can easily be emulated in software. The only attacks
on the connected system when the software is not listening to requests that
are not possible on the physically disconnected system are attacks against
the hardware implementing the serial port and the kernel device driver.

The physical gap in the other system is really an illusion. There is
a logical connection between the two systems.

Anyway... I tire of this discussion and I am sort of hoping the moderator
decides to pull the plug. As a friend of mine says, I don't have any dogs
in this fight. I don't want to sound like I am brushing anyone off, but I
am caring less and less whether I convince anyone of my opinion in this.

;-)

Fred

--
Aleph One / aleph1 () underground org