Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Sizing a firewall

From: "Ryan Russell" <Ryan.Russell () sybase com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 17:42:03 -0800

I will say this... a T1 will not even be close to enough.  You will get more
bitching and moaning with a T1 than if you just gave them all analog lines.
I can tell you that I have seen about 3000 users saturate a T1... not 100%
of the time, but it wasn't fun.  With 25K users, you had better start off
with at least a frac DS3 (even 10Mb will probably be cramped).  Really a
full DS3 is probably about right.  A decently spec'd firewally (FW-1 on a
Nokia IP 440 or 650) will be more than adequate and even give you some
growing room).

I've got 4500 people, and run some fairly popular web sites w/big downloads.

Traffic is spread through various parts of the world as follows:

Western part of the US - 12MB Frac DS3
Eastern part of the US - 9MB Frac DS3
Europe near UK - E1 (2MB)
Europe near Netherlands - E1(2MB)
Australia - Frac T1(?) - 256Kb.

Asia comes through either West or East US.

                    Ryan