Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Sizing a firewall

From: Rafael Teixeira <rpt () pobox com>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 18:12:26 +0000

Hi there.
Welcome to the brave new world....

The problem is that you must now what kind of traffic you will have.
http, https, ftp, real-audio, smtp, etc.
All of thsi protocols will have different needs.
Now, you might go to load-balancing stuff, proxying.
Think about security contents (things like web, ftp and mail sweepers).

I think you must take a deeper look at your network, mostly because ONE
firewall isn't going to solve the problem, and it might became a
"single-point-of-faillure", and this could be as good as bad.

Can you use servers for local caching and proxying ?
What kind of mail policies you will have ?
Will you use a DMZ ?
And what about ISP's service?

Think about this first, then you might start seeing the BIG problem you
are going to have.

Rafael

Walt Sullivan wrote:

I'm consulting for a Canadian government agency that plans to allow
desktop access to the Internet for the first time next year (yes, I
know, "Forward into the 70's", but is is government).

They think they have about 25,000 desktops (Windows 95/98, shudder).

How can I help them predict the amount of traffic they'll see on their
T1 connection?

Is there anybody out there running a firewall for 25K desktops that is
willing to share
Thanks,

Walt

--