Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Sizing a firewall

From: "Dom De Vitto" <dom () devitto com>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 14:31:32 -0000

DON'T just have them browse right out!
Cache/Proxy chain a couple of times - this will massively reduce your
traffic, esp. if you also run a caching name server before your T1.

I'd also recommend some kinda content/virus checker in the chain and
the last 'hop' before the 'net being an application-level firewall
(this would also running a caching name server, only serving requests
on i/f 127.0.0.1).

This is fine for at least up to 5k clients (with two 'chains', going
out of two 6 Meg lines, to two different ISP at two geographic
locations - we can manually switch all traffic through either pipe)

Dom
Dom De Vitto
Secure Technologies Ltd.                           Mob. 07971 589 201
mailto:dom () devitto com                             Tel. 01202 738 767
http://www.devitto.com                             Fax. 08700 548 750