Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Recent Attacks

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () securityfocus com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 10:59:01 -0800 (PST)

In case anyone was thinking I'm off-base in terms of claiming L0phtcrack
would be one of the first on the list if you start outlawing security
tools, take a look here:

http://www.channel4000.com/news/stories/news-20000217-164727.html?&_ref=1005006010

L0phtcrack is now officially a "burglary tool" if this news story is
accurate.  Long-term, I suppose it will depend on whether the judge
upholds the charge, but for short term, law enforcement has decided it's
illegal.  For real-life burglary tools, such as locksmith type stuff, you
can't carry them unless you're a licensed locksmith.  IANAL, but whether
something is a burglary tool is dependant on local laws, so it's not true
the world over.  However, once it's been designated a burglary tool,
there's no confusion.

So, since there doesn't currently exist any licensing or certification for
whether someone is a "legitimate security professional" or equivalent,
L0phtcrack will have to be presumed illegal.  If you live in Minneapolis,
you better erase your copy and all evidence that you even had it, even if
you purchased it or had a legitimate use for it.

Note that in most cases, possesion of a burglary tool is a crime in
itself, regardless if you've used it for anything.

                                Ryan