Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Recent Attacks

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 100 17:33:35 +1100 (EST)

In some email I received from Ryan Russell, sie wrote:

So are you suggesting that perhaps it is time software such as ISS, etc,
to not only be made available with strict controls over which targets
they can be used against (article about this went to bugtraq some time
ago) but also be required for those buying the product/license keys
in order to undertake such work ?  I think this is almost a inevitable.
I can't see why professionals would object to this - every `respectable'
procession has some sort of official "badging" which is required before
you practice in it.

Because then if I want to write a tool, I have to take on the
responsibility of serial numbering, licensing, probably some sort of
insurance, etc.. which means I can't do it for free anymore, can't release
source...

It's going to squash the little guys.

It may in fact be inevitable, but it sucks.

Let me get this straight, you've been writing small DDoS packages and
distributing the source code for them ?  I have probably strayed too
far in grouping ISS with them, but ISS/Cybercop include a vast array
of "buttons" which, in my mind at least, put them in a different class
to your scripts - sort of like comparing a pea shooter with the guns
the dog creatures get in 5th Element :)  The government here has come
very close to outlawing some of them...I can't imagine it'll be long
before others try :-/

Some of these DDoS tools could be deemed to be "cyber firearms".

Kids make bombs at home and look what happens - they blow up schools, if
not themselves.  (No, you don't need the 'net to learn how).  I imagine
if you set out to make a gun, then you'd need a license too*, but that's
something I'll leave to the expects - I don't want to put any unnecessary
holes in me by accident or otherwise.  Kids shooting up classmates, kids
bringing down the Internet.  What's worse, 20 dead + injured or loosing
$1.2 billion ?  "Only in America".

mmmm, stretching analogies :)

Darren

* - I don't know about this for sure, but you can't sell deail in them
    without one.