Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Recent Attacks

From: David LeBlanc <dleblanc () mindspring com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 19:08:36 -0800

At 05:44 PM 2/18/00 -0800, Ryan Russell wrote:

That's what happens when you damage someone.  All of a sudden, the worn out
car you'd sell for $1000 becomes a well-maintained collector's item worth
at least $5000.

I agree with Marcus - once the vandals are caught, they ought to sue them
back into the stone age.

OK then, what's fair damages for writing Internet Scanner, an evil haxor
tool?

It is all a matter of usage.  If I use a hammer to build a building, I get
paid.  If I use it to smash windshields, I get thrown in jail.  There isn't
any law against checking security of your own systems.  There is a law
against breaking into other people's systems.  At least ISS made a good
faith effort to keep the Scanner's licensing such that it at least slowed
the crackers down for a while before they could use it.  That's more than I
can say for several other auditing tool vendors.

This really has nothing to do that I can see with the current discussion.

How about releasing the "firewall" toolkit full of holes?

I have no idea what you're talking about.  fwtk?  ISS' 'firewall scanner'
stuff?

$100M
each?

I hope you're joking.  If so, you should have put <g> liberally.

David LeBlanc
dleblanc () mindspring com