Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: VPN for *DSL/CableModem Users

From: "Robert Purdy" <liteyear () ihug co nz>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 19:54:14 +1200

I have to agree with Kyle here.  Secure Client is your only option.

To refute other suggestions posted:

"Have you considered using KSE (formerly CMDS) to monitor input from
FW-1..."
        There is no point, it will never seem like an attack if the user has a
dialup connection to the internet; the computer will act as a router, ie the
traffic will come from an authenticated host

"...some VPN software based on IPSec.  Windows 2000 actually uses IPSec..."
        Again same arugment; the traffic between the user and the company network
will be encrypted, but the traffic coming via the modem won't be until the
computer acts as a router and encrypts it to the Firewall.  There is no
advantage there.

"...use xxxxx third party product..."
        Users have a great knack of disabling or not loading such programs.  There
is no way to check, (that I know of, someone correct me), that when they
enter your network that the third party product is running.  "Oh it crashed
so I forgot" or "Oh it stopped ICQ running even when I wasn't connected to
the company so I disabled it"
        Also small 3rd party firewalls have this great "learn" feature; esentially
people allow everything and end up defeating the purpose of having a
firewall

Really your only option is to run SecureRemote:
1) You require encryption between user and company network (firewall) - this
is standard with SR
2) You require security at the user end (SR is a mini firewall @ the end
users pc, a defined policy is pushed out each time the user connects to the
firewall)
3) You need to make sure that its running; the user has to access the
network via SR, no other options

It does have draw backs;
1) It only comes with 4.1 (CP 2000) and its an addon feature which could be
expensive.  Check to see if you have a maintainence contract with CP; if you
do they will upgrade you to 4.1 free of charge.
2) Its new; checkpoint are pretty good with service packs so it's probably
reasonably bullet proof
3) I have only seen it running in the labs; not in real situations

Regards,
Rob Purdy