Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPN for *DSL/CableModem Users

From: "Michael C. Ibarra" <ibarra () hawk com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 15:46:34 -0400

Quoting Andrew J Bernoth/Boulder/IBM <bernoth () us ibm com>:

Hi Mike,

I don't really understand your concerns.  Your staff probably already
have Cable modems or DSL connections attached 7x24 and dial in to your
office LAN without dropping their personal internet connections.  How
do you stop this currently without simply relying on Corporate policy
and user honesty?

That was part of my question, no? And as far as the office connections go,
those you have *some* control over, so as long as a user doesn't buy one
of those analog-to-digital line adapters ;-)

Don't they already have the ability to act as a gateway?  VPN is just
going
to force them to authenticate a different way, and with one-time
passwords
they can't automate their login process.  Any connectivity, including
dial-back solutions, can be considered a risk to you corporate LAN, but
users will want to work at home, and managers will want their staff to
be
on call and connect at all hours of the day or night.

I miss your point, however from postings already made, it would appear as
though I will be able to lock up any other type of connections, well as
long as the VPN is up at least. Another thought, somewhat horrible I admit,
is to lock up the machines other ports which would prevent them from using
another modem in the first place. So far the VPN solution given to me solves
most of my headaches, now to find a failsafe method for additional ports :-(

Thanks all,

-mike

          The information contained in this message
           is not necessarily the opinion of Hawk
                   Technologies, Inc.