Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPN for *DSL/CableModem Users

From: "Andrew J Bernoth/Boulder/IBM" <bernoth () us ibm com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 12:42:14 -0600

Hi Mike,

I don't really understand your concerns.  Your staff probably already have
Cable modems or DSL connections attached 7x24 and dial in to your office
LAN without dropping their personal internet connections.  How do you stop
this currently without simply relying on Corporate policy and user honesty?
Don't they already have the ability to act as a gateway?  VPN is just going
to force them to authenticate a different way, and with one-time passwords
they can't automate their login process.  Any connectivity, including
dial-back solutions, can be considered a risk to you corporate LAN, but
users will want to work at home, and managers will want their staff to be
on call and connect at all hours of the day or night.

Regards,
Andrew J Bernoth
bernoth () us ibm com
"The views expressed above are my own and do not necessarily reflect those
of IBM"

"Michael C. Ibarra" <ibarra () hawk com>@nfr.net on 08/17/2000 03:14:30 PM

Sent by:  firewall-wizards-admin () nfr net