Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: VPN for *DSL/CableModem Users

From: sean.kelly () lanston com
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 11:46:26 -0400

My initial inclination would be to reccommend some VPN software based on
IPSec.  Windows 2000 actually uses IPSec and should be much improved over
the PPTP software built-in to NT.  Also, 3Com and a number of other
companies have produced network cards that handle a bunch of the
encryption-related stuff in hardware, and have Windows 2000 drivers
specifically intended for their use as VPN servers.  I haven't investigated
it much, but I'm fairly sure that Cisco has IPSec built in to some of its
routers and clients should be able to connect to the routers directly for
VPN purposes.  As for other software, PGP.Com has client and server software
called PGPNet that does IPSec-based VPN stuff.  The server, I beleive, is
only avaible for Unix platforms, but the client has Windows versions as
well.

Sean