Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: ICMP Well-Known Port

From: "M. Dodge Mumford" <dodge () nfr net>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 21:05:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 wpl1 () jps net wrote:

Evidently I'm really missing the boat.  I've been trying to find the
well-known port for ICMP.  Is there no such thing?

We all miss boats from time to time. The lucky thing is, we can
occasionally catch up with them.

ICMP works at the same level as TCP and UDP. All three sit on the
foundation of IP. Although there are different flavors of ICMP traffic,
the concept of a port for ICMP doesn't apply.

You might want to glance at a couple RFC's; they're the definition of what
these protocols are supposed to do (more or less).
        768:    UDP
        791:    IP
        792:    ICMP
        793:    TCP