Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IP Spoofing.

From: Randy Witlicki <randy.witlicki () valley net>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 21:29:24 -0400

  In the original blind IP spoofing (Mitnick, etc.) you had two
big holes:
   - Predictable initial TCP sequence numbers, and;
   - Trust (as in /.rhosts) with no security perimeter.
  In the classic way of doing it, you do a  "echo X.X.X.X > /.rhosts"
as an rsh command in blind IP spoofing and then your host (X.X.X.X) is
now trusted and you are free to rlogin, etc. (assuming there
is no security perimeter).

  In a prudent setup with both cryptographically strong initial
TCP sequence numbers (you don't need OpenBSD here, but it helps), and
a good security perimeter, you should be immune from the "classic" attack.

  So, the original poster's boss may be correct, if he is refering to
blind spoofing and he has a strong OS with prudent perimeter security.

  - Randy
 -

Sorry, but your boss is wrong.  Get web ferret (it's free) and search for
IP spoofing.  Why would they call it IP spoofing if you couldn't spoof an
IP address?  You typicall have to do it blindly (thus the expression
"blind spoofing"), IOW, you spoof a host, but do not get the response, you
guess or assume the response and proceed accordingly.  Also look up
session hi-jacking.

Carric Dooley CNE
COM2:Interactive Media
http://www.com2usa.com

"In theory, there is no difference between theory
and practice. But, in practice, there is. "
                      - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut