Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: ICMP Well-Known Port

From: "Josh Robb" <josh () fujitsu co nz>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 21:43:20 +1200

Off the top of my head (I'll have a go...)

ICMP communications occur at the same level in the protocol stack as TCP and UDP (sort of). (I.e. the network layer of
the OSI model). TCP and UDP's designers chose to use ports as the endpoint identifiers for their protocols. ICMP
however is implemented differently using Types and Codes. Each type identifies a major ICMP function (ECHO-REQUEST,
ECHO-REPLY, TTL-EXPIRED etc), each code allows extra information to be conveyed within the ICMP packet (e.g. a new
address in a redirect).

So simply there are no ports for ICMP because it does not use any underliying protocol which supplies such
functionality. ICMP sits directly ontop of IP, the diagram below shows ICMPs relationship to the TCP/IP stack. Notice
that TCP/UDP do not enter into the equation.

--------
ICMP - Flow control/Network diagnostics/Basic Routing updates (redirects).
------
IP - Addressing/Routing etc.
--------

ICMP does not need ports because there is no ongoing conversation. It is simply one party sending some
request/information to another party. This may require a response or it may not.

Regards

Josh