Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Responsiveness of remote admins

From: "Tim Kramer" <tkramer () irt net>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 13:39:29 +0000

Lance Spitzner wrote:

You raise some excellent points.  However, if nothing else, the
remote administrators should, as a courtesy, acknowledge
receipt of your email.  Also, on several occasions, I have
included logs and key strokes of systems being compromised
(such as bof logs or sniffit traces).  It can be frustrating
when you have documented evidence, and you still hear nothing.

My intent is not to debate the rights and wrongs of
"responsiveness".  Rather, to state the fact that, based on
my experiences, I find smaller organizations more responsive.
Larger organizations may be acting on the information I have
sent them, I just do not know since I never hear anything back.

I agree that it's nice to, at the very least, to get some form of
acknowledgement (other than the auto-response from
abuse () where ever).  I've had occasion to be in contact with
the security personnel of four ISP's (including AOL) and all
of them we're very responsive in the incidents that I submitted
to them.

Tim Kramer