Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Responsiveness of remote admins

From: Lance Spitzner <spitzner () dimension net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 21:52:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Randy Grimshaw wrote:

I have written to abuse () rr com and included the *full* logs. What I got
back was an automated response that effectively says thank-you, now go
away... which may be all that I can expect. We (at Syracuse) DO follow
through and "smack" people but I can't say that we always respond to the
original complaint with any follow through.

I've been doing a little 'statistical' research on this.  My firewall
is setup to detect and log most standard scans.  The firewall also
emails the point of contact for the remote system.  The trend I have noticed
is the larger the organization, the less likely you are to hear from them.

From UUnet, mediaone, @home all I get are automated responses.  However,
the response is terrific from smaller organizations.  Twice the president
of the organization emailed me personally with their phone numbers.

As I get more numbers, I'll present the results :)

Lance Spitzner
http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz/papers.html
Internetworking & Security Engineer
Dimension Enterprises Inc