Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Scans Observed by Officer Friendly

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 17:00:04 -0500 (CDT)

Actually, this is pretty naive, for the 'script kiddies' have some pretty
impressive tools at their point and click fingertips.  And, they have
learned a thing or two, that few here give them credit for.  They've
learned to coordinate their activities, to pool resources.  They are
not coming at you from a single endpoint now, there are 6-10 of them
setting up their attacks, all hitting you at once.  And, many have telnet
accounts, or hacked systems from which they launch their spoofed attacks,
and so cover their tracks.  Sure, you might get one of those accounts
closed, might even succeed in getting multiple accounts that they
have access to closed, and still, they will come at you, from others that
are still hidden and unfettered out.  Only the newest of the newbies on
the net do their dirty work from their main account these days.

Trust me, BO and NETBUS are the least of your worries, and only the very
raw kiddies play with it now...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne