Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: A good NAT for Linux

From: "Michael T. Shinn" <mike () shinn net>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 07:26:38 +0000

Steven Osman wrote:

Anyone know of a good NAT server and proxy server (either together or as
separate packages) for Linux?

Basically what I'm trying to achieve is this :

Taking one single IP address (say, from a dialup or a DSL connection) which
may or may not be static, and fanning it out to a number of workstations
(like 6 or so), and providing them as much freedom as possible to run
different applications.  I was hoping that between a www and ftp proxy, and
a socks proxy, I'd have most applications covered, and then I'd use NAT for
any off-the-wall applications that may be running.

Any ideas?

Steven
p.s. If it's free, that's better of course :)

Have you considered just using the masquerading support in the kernel?
A good primer on that is available at:

http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/IP-Masquerade.html

If you ever want to mess with the cipe/VPN stuff under linux you can
read up on that at:

http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Cipe+Masq.html

--
Michael T. Shinn                                 PGP Key: 08EDF1B1
ech`echo xiun|tr nu oc|sed 'sx\([sx]\)\([xoi]\)xo l\2nu\1 \2s xg'`ol