Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: WORM file system for logging

From: "Andrew J. Luca" <andrewluca () mediaone net>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 07:04:29 -0400

Not to belabor this point, but we built a similar configuration using a
terminal server and an extra host.  Each of the secure hosts pushed syslog
traffic out of the /dev/term/b port in addition to logging some of it
locally.  The /dev/term/b port was connected to a terminal server which was
in turn connected (via a direct ethernet connection) to a dedicated loghost.
This host ran a process per secure host which would telnet to the terminal
server and collect all of this data.

        We then had a process which would parse the data based upon pre-determined
rules.  The data was either discarded (in the case of stuff we knew we
didn't want), written to a rotating file, or written to a file which was
permanently archived.  This server also generated pages and e-mails for the
support groups.  Last I saw, this had scaled to about fifty hosts in a
single site with about four of these installations.

        I am not sure that this was the cleanest way to do this but you can't
telnet down the serial port and an intruder couldn't just go to the log host
since there was no easy way to know where that host was.

Just my thoughts.
Drew