Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

PPTP viability (was RE: Gauntlet & NTLM)

From: Philip Cox <pcc () llnl gov>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 18:45:20 -0700

At 08:50 AM 10/14/97 -0400, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
Ah! That's an interesting situation. Does anyone actually *implement*
the PPP RFCs for security? I know that there are all kinds of useful
things in the RFC but I don't think, for example, that my W95 PPP
stack supports encryption.

It is my understanding that when you add the PPTP patch to W95, then PPP
encryption (along with other things) becomes "supported".

An aside. I have a situation in which I am seriously considering using PPTP
because it is availible today*. This would be in a sensitive and possibly
classified environment. The desire is to have mutual authentication of
client and server, along with traffic encryption. I have an off the shelf
app which is a client-server model, and I don't (can't) modify the app for
say SSL support. I would be interested in any current WORKING
implementations of network layer (host network layer that is, not
encrypting routers) or transport layer (no app mods needed) secure
communications. I have been trying to think if some, but am drawing a
blank, except PPTP.

I would like comments on two specific points:

1. Is PPTP a viable option for sensitive or possibly classified level
encryption?

2. If PPTP is not, what are the other options. ( I can think of 2,
encrypting routers, or code mods to support SSL)

Phil

* As opposed to L2TP or IPSEC for out of the box support

[A general class of security problems occurs when one layer rests
on another and the lower layer's security properties have not yet
been implemented or contain flaws. I can imagine an un-funny
situation in which PPTP doesn't do encryption and authentication
because that's PPP's problem, and PPP doesn't do encryption
because that's IPSEC's problem, and IPSEC isn't available.]

mjr.

--
Marcus J. Ranum, CEO, Network Flight Recorder, Inc.
work - http://www.nfr.net