Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Gauntlet & NTLM

From: "Ge' Weijers" <ge () progressive-systems com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 12:49:42 -0400 (EDT)

Ah! That's an interesting situation. Does anyone actually *implement*
the PPP RFCs for security? I know that there are all kinds of useful
things in the RFC but I don't think, for example, that my W95 PPP
stack supports encryption.

If you install PPTP on W95 or NT your PPP gets updated with the
encryption capability. It's Microsofts own MPPE encryption, which
depends on their brand of CHAP..... etc. They've extended the
_compression_ control protocol to handle this :-(

The current RFCs for PPP encryption are somewhat limited, you get DES
and triple DES. That's about it.

Ge'