Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

AltaVista Tunnel

From: Eric Dykema <Eric_test () sdsi com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 16:09:52 -0500

I'm getting ready to implement a VPN and one of the products being
evaluated is AltaVista Tunnel 97.  We need to pass traffic to both UNIX
boxes and PCs over the Tunnel.  I can't seem to do NetBEUI sessions over
the Tunnel product.  The vendor claims that it's because our fwtk-based
firewall won't pass UDP traffic, but the Tunnel documentation says that
every packet is encrypted and encapsulated in a TCP packet before
passing thru the firewall.  Therefore, I don't think I believe them.  I
suspect the cause might be that NetBEUI is unroutable and can't be
routed thru the Tunnel server.

Microsoft's PPTP _can_ do NetBEUI sessions over the tunnel, but I'd
really rather not use it for reasons that don't need to be argued here.
If my above stated suspicion is correct, then I don't know how M$ routes
NetBEUI traffic thru their tunnel (and probably don't want to know).
Does anybody have any ideas on AltaVista Tunnel?  Am I right or wrong?
Eric Dykema
email: Eric_Dykema () sdsi com
Network Administrator
SDS, Inc.