Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Gauntlet & NTLM

From: "Ge' Weijers" <ge () progressive-systems com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 15:30:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Craig Brozefsky wrote:

3.  The encryption is laughable 40 bit RSA WITHOUT EVER RENEGOTIATING
KEYS!!!!!  This means I now have tons of data encrypted with the same lame
40 but key, and because of all the encapsulation a good percentage of that
is known plaintext from the packet headers (IP/GRE/PPP/IP/TCP).  40 bit is
bad enough but without key negotiation over the lifetime of the connection
it's severly degraded.

The key is changed every 256 packets, whenever the low byte of MPPE
frame's serial number hits 0. All the keys are derived from the original
(MS-)CHAP exchange, though, so you do not get perfect forward
secrecy. The amount of data sent with one key is limited to 256 * MTU, a
couple hundred Kbytes at the most.

The TCP control connection can certainly be attacked, but I don't see
how that will help the attacker in gaining access to the server
side. Denial of service attacks should be relatively easy, though.

Ge'