Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Outsourcing Firewalls/Internet Security count

From: Ted Doty <ted () iss net>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 09:27:12 -0500

At 09:36 AM 12/4/97 -0500, Paul D. Robertson wrote:

If the government, with its ability to investigate far more places than a
company, can't stop classified material from leaking to hostile
countries, I'm not sure how it's expected that private companies will
ensure anywhere near that level of trust for any significant ammount of
time and not get burned.

I'm not familiar with any examples of classified information leaking out
via electronic means; all the cases I can think of is someone selling
secrets (tossing packages over embassy walls and things like that).  A
firewall really won't help prevent this (or intrusion detection, either).

- Ted

Ted Doty, Internet Security Systems | Phone: +1 770 395 0150
41 Perimeter Center East            | Fax:   +1 770 395 1972
Atlanta, GA 30346  USA              | Web: http://www.iss.net
PGP key fingerprint: 362A EAC7 9E08 1689  FD0F E625 D525 E1BE