Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Outsourcing Firewalls/Internet Security count

From: Christopher Nicholls <chrisn () softway com au>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 17:07:05 +1100

At 14:41 5/12/97 -0500, Joseph S. D. Yao wrote:
I suspect we all currently outsource our telephone services, and think
nothing of it.  Why should we insist on being more private with our
network services?
<SNIP>
Heck, I've even heard - although I wouldn't swear to it - that some
government installations are considering outsourcing firewalls.  I
haven't heard that any are actually doing it now, though.

Would I do it?  Not bloody likely.  You have to be pretty paranoid to
do network security, and it shows.  I'm just like a lot of you: I hate
to let anything like that out of my hands, because then I'm not
directly controlling it.  But that's also part of the reason why I'd
never go into business for myself (I don't know how Marcus balances
it!): I have trouble balancing business justifications for doing things
less than perfectly.  Intellectually, I'm aware that such reasons
exist.  But it's not a part of my central mental model of the world.

So why am I arguing for out-sourcing?  Because a lot of the arguments
I've read have been pretty much from the point of view of that last
paragraph: pretty much "I wouldn't do it 'cause it's not the perfect
solution."  And it's not.  But sometimes it can be justified, as not
having your own private secure communications network across the world
can be justified, as a less-than-perfect solution for less-than-greatest
needs.

In Australia it starting to happen in State and Federal Government. In a bid
to reduce the costs of government, systems integration companies such as
IBM, EDS and the like are bidding for outsourcing contacts which include
fully outsourced IT and Internet IT security. In fact there is also a
government-run secure gateway constructed to provide security to whole-of
government for Internet and intranet secure comms. This too in time will
probably be outsourced.

Whilst we debate the ins and outs of the matter... it is happening here
already. Similar things are happening with private firms too in Australia.

Regards

Christopher
Christopher A Nicholls
Softway Pty Ltd  ACN: 002 726 641
Canberra Branch Office: Advance Bank Centre,
60 Marcus Clarke Street, Canberra City ACT 2602
Ph:    +61 2 62434834
Fax:  +61 2 6243 4848   E-mail: chrisn () softway com au
Mob: 0411 454 755       WWW:    http://www.softway.com.au
"...life's too short." Anon.