Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Outsourcing firewalls & InfoSec Ops - Part I/II

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 09:53:43 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, chuck yerkes wrote:

With ISP's (that I would work with) who will host machines (or
give me full access to one of theirs), in my experience these
machines are on a separate segments and usually on a switch - so
sniffing from "my" machine becomes somewhat useless.

While that is generally true of customer machines these days, it is not
always true of employee-owned machines.  While some places manage and
have policies for employee-owned machines just like customer ones, others
turn a blind eye and treat it as an undocumented feature of employement
(or aren't aware of it at all), and they end up on a spare hub, not an
expensive switch.

Also, in a dynamicly routed environment, LAN sniffing isn't necessary if you
can participate in or hijack routing.

We haven't started switching internally, so I don't know for sure (anyone?),
but I wouldn't be surprised if most switches handed off the multicast
addresses involved in things like OSPF to all ports by default either.

Anyway, it's part of the risk model that I use for service providers, YMMV.

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280