Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security Operations Center Management

From: Christine Whalley <cwhalley () BARNARD EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2021 15:23:23 +0000

Cynthia,

Does your organization have a formal Security Operations Center?
     Yes, we have used an outsourced 24x7 SOC provider since 2012.

Is it fully staffed with internal resources?
      No - we recently partnered with OculusIT to provide our SOC and next gen firewall management services.

Is it fully outsourced?

      Yes/No - there is a partnership between our outsourced SOC and our internal infrastructure and service desk
teams.
      We port designated logs to SIEM managed by the SOC.  Internal team has access to view SOC Dashboard and log data
      The SOC team monitors the environment and performs threat analysis to identify incidents and/or recommend changes
      we should make to our environment.
      Recommended changes are assessed by the appropriate internal support team.
      Once approved, changes to the firewall are made by the SOC while changes to servers and other services are made
by the
      appropriate internal support team.

Is it co-managed with a service provider?
      See explanation above.
      We continue to review for improvement opportunities and refine thresholds for where the SOC can take direct
action without
      intervening College approval.