Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security Operations Center Management

From: Dennis Bolton <bolton () OAKLAND EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 08:54:46 -0500

1)      Does your organization have a formal Security Operations Center? *We
have a Security Team, I hesitate to call us a "SOC" as resources (tools and
time) limit or monitoring ability.*

a.       Is it fully staffed with internal resources?  *Team is 3 staff
(including myself) and between 1-2 part time students *

b.       Is it fully outsourced? *We augment with a Security Consulting
Firm that provides support including scanning as well  Prof. Services for
infrastructure configuration but not a true SOC service.*

c.       Is it co-managed with a service provider? (above)

2)      If you do not have a Security Operations Center is it on your
roadmap * We continue to investigate, specifically for true 24x7 incident
response but not in our immediate future*

a.       Are you planning to fully staffed with internal resources?
*Unlikely,
we would be able to get internal resources*

b.       Are you planning to fully outsourced? *Possibly*

c.       Are you planning to co-managed with a service provider? *Possibly*

Not  sure where to add this but we would be interested in a shared,
community SNOC for 24x7 monitoring and alerting.

Dennis Bolton
Information Security Officer
Oakland University
Dodge Hall Rm 220
118 Library Drive
Rochester, MI 48309-4401
248-370-4803

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 5:47 PM Carlton, Cynthia <