Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Server asset inventory tool

From: David Escalante <david.escalante () BC EDU>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 17:10:19 -0400

From a network scanning perspective, I agree with Kevin.

Assuming that you surmount Kevin's points, and have a network-derived list of all the "servers" associated with your institution, where maybe a "server" is anything listening on a well-known port, you still don't know what KIND of server it is (e.g. Raspberry Pi vs. HP blade chassis), or what software is running on it, beyond whatever banners the network software grabbed.  And, more important, you don't know who a given server belongs to unless you manage to derive that from the name, the IP address, or some other manual process.

Because of all this, server asset inventory tools, including manual ones, tend to be incomplete, incorrect, and out of date.  It's not that they don't have utility -- they do -- but only if you understand what you want the server asset register for and how it'll be maintained. Focus on how you'll get accurate and useful data, and maintain that data over time, from a process perspective.  If you get that right, it's way more important than what s/w you use.
--
David Escalante
P.S. If you're a vendor and reading this, please don't contact me and explain how your tool solves any and all difficulties pointed out in this thread.  We're not in the market.....